Saturday, February 18, 2006

Stash Enhancement

Today we went on an adventure to Allentown. We had committed to helping my future sister-in-law and her husband fix up their new house and decided to run some errands while we were headed that direction.

First Stop:
Allentown Sewing Machine Outlet: Bill diagnosed my sewing machine problem as an internal loose screw that was affecting my tension, not an operator error, as I had suspected. He fixed the problem and sent me on my way. They are so nice and helpful here it is worth the drive to do business with them. Plus they have a great selection of fabric! (which I was good about not purchasing)

Second Stop:
Tucker Yarn Co.: I had never been here before and decided that since I was in the area I would check it out. The store is not much to look at, it is in a section of Allentown which I'm told was once an upscale shopping district about 40 years ago, but now is pretty run down. The shop owners themselves probably have been there for at least 40 years. They were a cute, elderly couple, the woman needed a walker to get around. They were very helpful and the store was very large. Tucker Yarn has a wide range of yarns and other needlepoint accessories. They had everything from nice imported wools and alpacas to Lion Brand acrylics. They carried a lot of different weights and colors of each. Some of this yarn had to be in stock since the 70's, just by looking at the labels.


My purchase included: 2 skeins of Reynolds Lopi in nave to make a Sophie Bag, 3 balls of Noro Kuyeron just because the price was right, and 2 skiens of Jiffy to make another Project Linus square for the Knitting Group's Charity Project.

The journey to our next stop included witnessing an extreme display of road rage involving an individual drawing a weapon and threatening the car behind him (in broad daylight no less). But that is a story for another time.

Finally we arrived at our Third Stop: The pet store, where we purchased fish food and spoke with the Greyhound people who were there. We've been contemplating getting Miss Emma a friend lately.

We then spent the rest of the afternoon painting, and when we came home we bottled two batches of homebrew. So needless to say I didn't get much Knitting Olympics done today, I did work on one of the Project Linus squares during the drive:

No comments: