Sunday, June 21, 2009

One Local Summer - Week's 2 & 3

As summer gets closer (today, Summer Solstice, is the longest day of the year) eating locally becomes more enjoyable. The farmers markets in the area are starting to open and more green veggie options are beginning to fill the stall's.
I was unable to post our local meal from week 2 because I left for the airport right after we finished eating.

Week Two's Dinner:

Grilled Chicken Thighs with Rosemary and Olive Oil
Braised Sugar Snap Peas and Spring Onions
Mashed Turnips
Heirloom Tomatoes (Organic - grown in a Greenhouse in Lancaster) and Basil from my garden

While we try to produce most of our meals from local ingredients - in the weeks during the "one local challenge" I am trying to make a weekly Sunday dinner from purely local ingredients. Tonight's dinner (Week 3) was inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" (which I'm rereading for the third time).

Week 3's Dinner:


Roasted Vegetable Panini's
Roasted Onion, Zuccini & Yellow Squash from Landisdale
Tomatoes - Lancaster County
Bread - Souderton
Mozzarella - bought from Willow Creek -not sure where locally they get it.
Parm. Cheese - ok, not local...but I brought it back with me from Italy - where it is made locally. I think that still counts.

And for dessert....

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream - using the last bit of strawberry jam we made this afternoon (more on that tomorrow) and local cream.

No comments: